Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Owner of a broken heart?

Cures for A Broken Heart
Posted by David Romanelli
on Mon, Jul 09, 2007, 3:30 pm PDT

"Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again; skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts." -Anonymous

There's very little in life that hurts as much as a broken heart. I always wished there were a guide on dealing with the pain of having loved and lost. So I'm gonna make an attempt at such a guide. Based on my many days dealing with a broken heart in what I call "the pain chamber," I'd like to share some thoughts on what's gotten me through:

First, listen to some country music.

Second, try listening to some country music.

Third, did I say country music?

Country songs cover some powerful lessons and wise teachings on handling the dark side of love. Depending on the day or the moment, any of the following tips might help...

1. Keep in mind that a broken heart is part of being human
Be wary of the person who hasn't dealt with a broken heart. No matter how strong you might be, if you're open to love, you're automatically vulnerable to pain. So don't feel bad if you’re in the pain chamber. Know that it's very normal and very much a part of being human. In "God Only Knows," Cynthia Ford sings about the unbearable pain that no amount of strength can overcome. She learns it's faith, not strength, that can get you through:
Somebody tell me if there's
any other way
I tried prayin' for strength
But it never came
So I'm praying for faith
Cuz God only knows
How hard this is for me

2. Light the fire
When dealing with heartbreak, sometimes it helps to get a little fired up! You can spend a lot of time bummed out and weeping, but at a certain point, it might help to get off your ass. Go for a run, lift some weights, scream if you must. Think Rocky Balboa meets the Karate Kid. In other words, get pumped. Check out Dierks Bentley's song "Forget About You" for inspiration:
I heard that ol' Jones song just the other day
'Bout a man who took that ol' broken heart to his grave
But I'll be damned if a memory's gonna lay me down
I might be walkin' around with a head full of air
Actin' kinda crazy but I don't care
This heart's barely beating, but I'll still be above the ground
I'll forget about you!

3. Take solace in the fact that things have a way of working out
It's hard to understand the first time your heart is broken. But over time, you come to realize that there's a certain rhyme and reason to life. As Garth Brooks sings, you may just become grateful for your "Unanswered Prayers":
She was the one that I'd wanted for all time
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

4. Feel the pain
We can exhaust ourselves fighting the pain. Allowing yourself to feel the pain rather than resist it sometimes can be very healing.

2 comments:

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

Bless your heart, sweetie!

I'm a big country music fan whatever the season in my life. I'm glad to hear its helping you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you're still going through a rough time. I'm definitely no stranger to heartache but it doesn't go away in time. Trust me!