Monday, November 24, 2008

What happened to Thanksgiving?

I still can't believe it. When I was in FL in early October (read: the 4th!!!!), I went to Target. Christmas had already vomitted all over the store. Blow up Santas, Christmas cards, lights, and annoying musical toys. Really? This was BEFORE Halloween. Do we completely disregard Thanksgiving now? Is Thanksgiving no longer important to people? Or are stores so desperate to have people start shopping and then forget they already bought things so they buy more? I am not sure what it is, but I'm already sick of it.

I will fully admit that I am one of the "crazies" that gets up early every year the day after Thanksgiving to partake in the early bird shopping. BUT, I enjoy Thanksgiving first. I don't do Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving (unless I see something that is a good deal so I buy it not knowing who is going to get it that year or even for what holiday). But I am on a mission the day after Thanksgiving. That mission to complete my Christmas shopping so that I don't have to worry about it again until I take the presents where ever they need to go. Now, I'm not a scrooge, but I am someone who thinks that Christmas has gotten a little overblown lately and unfortunately, I don't think kids are taught the real meaning of Christmas (and no, it's not Santa!) I am not a religious person, but I believe Christmas is about being with family, friends, people you love and enjoying the company of people you don't see nearly enough.

So, yes, the stores are too much for me. Perhaps that is the reason I do my shopping all in one day. I can't stand the malls at this point and try to stay clear of them. I definitely have the Christmas spirit....mine just doesn't kick in until the day after Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I don't get the thanksgiving thing either... its kind of weird... I guess cause people don't spend as much on it or something?

Janet said...

it's funny how Thanksgiving has come to have a lot more to do with family than Christmas!

Anonymous said...

ITA! Heck some stores here had Christmas up right after Halloween! :(