Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Social work is draining....


So yes, I do social work. It's tough, it's emotionally draining, it's stressful, and it's hectic. But I still enjoy what I do. Yes, I come home some nights and want to fall into bed not to wake up until the morning. Yes, I can be crabby due to bad interactions during the day. Yes, I can be emotional over things that I read/hear/see over the course of a day. But, on those days, I can say that most of the time I come home and hope/pray/believe that I can or have made a difference. Even if it was a small difference, I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been told more than once that I'm crazy for doing what I do or that "no wonder social workers have a high burnout" but you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

People have said to me "you get used to hearing the bad things" but I'm not so sure I want to "get used to it" Would that make me a bad social worker? Would that desenitise myself to the real issues at hand? Would that make me less effective in dealing with issues?

These things have been going through my mind lately and although I know that most people don't blog about their "real" jobs, I just had to get it out. Another question I've been thinking about lately is how much do we really share about ourselves on our blog? Do we hold back a lot of things because we don't know how people will react or because we want to keep them to ourselves? It makes me wonder how the blogging world really works. I never meant for my blog to be read by anyone. But now I can't imagine not seeing comments from my very regular readers, like goofy girl, Janet, Carmen, and even kailani!

What do you all think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you started blogging, and that you posted about what you do. I think that some people have strength in one area, that perhaps others don't have...and those others are the ones that wonder how you can do your job. Sure, there is some burnout...but there is burnout in lots of fields! If you love what you do, and feel that you're helping people, that's all that really matters :-)

Besides, once you've been doing it for awhile, you'll get to go to conferences in places like Hawaii ;-)

Just sayin'!

Heather said...

I dont talk about stuff that's private on the blog because I don't really want to share/might hurt feelings of those around me. But I talk about stuff in general that I'd prolly mention in real life to people that I like. :)

I have also wondered about what you talked about in the social work about bad things. I think that when we don't get upset by it, it's kind of a bad sign. I think it's gotta be a medium of being able to deal with it and not really get upset, but also upset enough so that you don't lose your empathy/sympathy.

Maribeth said...

I worried about opening up on my blog when I first started to write. But then I realized that by sharing myself, perhaps it would help someone else.

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

For me, in my work, its not so much that getting used to the bad things means you really are used to it. In my professional vs. personal life it means that I have moved to a place where I don't take it home with me.

Fortunately for me, I was able to reach this point very, very early in my law career. I still feel that I'm compassionate though, and even have clients tell me that. I have to be at least somewhat attached or I'd probably go crazy with everyone else's divorces.

Anonymous said...

I don't blog about work (unless there's a really funny arrest story). Some days I think I'd be a better social worker than lawyer, but I think my husband would be pretty worried about me burning out. Most days I can leave work at work and not worry about who is in jail at night. Not sure what my dream job is yet, hoping it'll all come together soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I do blog about my job. I am an inner-city teacher and people have made all the same comments to me too. People ask all the time why I don't just work at a private school. Well, I am not a quitter for one thing. I also think that it is important for people who care to stay in the inner-city. I am sure you bring a great deal to the people you work with. The fact that you pray about your job has to help!
Jenn